What you can learn from a top retinal specialist who also raises goats. Find out if bowtie guys are really smarter. Controversies in retina referrals. What you need to know with Dr. Ivan Batlle.
In This Episode:
[2:25] Dr. Batlle’s journey into ophthalmology.
[6:15] The ForeSeeHome program.
[8:00] Longer-term injections versus regular injections.
[10:00] How much does the medicine cost, and what is the injection process?
[15:50] All about the disease and what can be done.
[19:30] The psychological aspects of the disease you can talk with the patients about.
[24:15] What testing is going to be available in the future.
[26:55] How quick should you refer to a retina specialist?
[39:00] How do we make the professions more collaborative?
[42:45] How urgent is a retinal detachment?
[46:00] Acute Retinal Necrosis
[53:36] How can we do a better job of communicating with patients?
About The Guest:
- Graduated from Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA
- Ophthalmology Resident at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute/The University of Miami School of Medicine
- Retina Fellowship at the Touro Infirmary/The Foundation for Retinal Research, New Orleans, LA
- Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
PUBLICATIONS AND RESEARCH
- Periocular Triamcinolone Acetonide as Treatment for Macular Edema Secondary to Branch Vein Occlusion Associated with Retinal Arteriovenous Malformation. Retina:26(9):1079-1080, November 2006
- Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Retinal Vasculitis Associated with West Nile Virus Infection. Retina: 26(3):365-367, March 2006
- Guest speaker Fundacion Oftalmologica Nacional, Bogota, Columbia 2005
- Panelist Pan American Congress of Ophthalmology, Puerto Rico 2003
- Panelist Pan American Congress of Ophthalmology, Chile 2005
- Retinal Panel Joint Meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology/Pan American Association of Ophthalmology, 2002
- Speakers Forum, Novartis Pharmaceuticals 2001-2005
- Clinical and Electrophysiologic Findings in a Family of Homozygous Recessive RP Patients, Ophthalmology 2000
- Functional and Anatomic Results in the Management of Retinal Detachment, Dominican Ophthalmological Society, 1996 Pan American Congress of Ophthalmology, Cancun, Mexico 1996
- Vernal Incidence of Central Serous Choroidopathy, Dominican Ophthalmological Society 1995
- Visual results of Scleral Fixation Intraocular Lenses, Dominican Ophthalmological Society 1994
- The Surgical Results in the Management of Advanced Stages of Sickle-Cell Retinopathy, The Vitreous Society 1994
- Vitamin A Enhancement of Cataract Wound Closure, Annals of Ophthalmology 1988
- Alcon AART C-02-60: Anecortave Acetate Risk Reductions Trial for patients with Non-Neovascular, Investigator.
- Alcon C-98-03: An Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy of Anecortave Acetate Sterile Suspension (30mg, 15mg, or 3mg) versus Placebo following Sub-Tenon Injections for the Inhibition of Neovascularization in patients with Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Sub-Investigator. 9/1999-11/2001
- ISTA Pharmaceuticals Protocol Vit-02-0896XX
- Miravant Medical Technologies/Pharmacia & Upjohn Protocol SnET5-98EA001
- QLT Photos Therapeutics, Inc./Ciba Vision, Verteporfin in ARMD (V.A.M.) Study
- Collaborative Ocular Melanoma Study (COMS)
- AREDS2: A Multicenter, Randomized Trial to access the effects of oral supplementation of Macular Xanthophyllis (Lutein + ZEAXANTHIN) and or Long-Chain Omega-3 Fatty Acids 9DHA) and EPA on the Progression of Advanced Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Investigator.
- National Eye Institute SCORE Study: Standard Care vs. Corticosteroid for Retinal Vein Occlusion, Sub-Investigator.
- An Observational Study of the Development of Diabetic Macular Edema Following Scatter Laser Photocoagulation: Principal Investigator
- Alimera Sciences: A Randomized, Double-Masked, Parallel Group, Multi-Center, Dose-Finding Comparison of the Safety and Efficacy of ASI-001A 0.5 µg/day and ASI-001B 0.2 µg/day Fluocinolone Acetonide Intravitreal Inserts to Sham Injection in Subjects with Diabetic Macular Edema, Investigator.
- Eyetech EOP1010: An Open-Label, Non-Comparative Protocol for the use of Pegaptanib Sodium injection every 6 weeks in patients with Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Sub-Investigator. 11/2004-11/2005
- Eyetech EOP1011: A Phase III, Randomized, Dose-Ranging, Double-Masked, Multicenter Trial, in parallel groups to determine the Safety, Efficacy, and Pharmacokinetics of Intravitreal Injections of Pegaptanib Sodium compared to Sham Injections for 30 weeks in patients with recent vision loss due to Macular Edema Secondary to Central Retinal Vein Occlusion, Investigator. 9/2004-11/2006
- Eyetech EOP1004: A Phase II/III, Randomized, Controlled, Double-Masked, Dose-Finding, Multicenter, Comparative Trial in Parallel Groups to establish the Safety and Efficacy of Intravitreal Injections of EYE001 (AntiVEGF Pegylated Aptamer) given every 6 weeks for patients with Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Sub-Investigator. 8/2001-11/2005
- Genentech FVF3192g (PIER): A Phase III, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Masked, Sham Injection controlled Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Ranibizumab in patients with Subfoveal Choroidal Neovascularization with or without classic CNV secondary to age-related macular degeneration, Sub-Investigator.
- Genentech FVF4165g (BRAVO): A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Masked, Sham injection-controlled Phase III Study to assess the Safety and Efficacy of Ranibizumab for the treatment of Macular Edema secondary to Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion, Sub-Investigator.
- Genentech FVF4166g (SHORE): A Multicenter, Randomized. Double-Masked, Sham-Injection Controlled Phase III Study to assess the Safety and Efficacy of Ranibizumab for the treatment of Macular Edema secondary to Central Retinal Vein Occlusion, Sub-Investigator.
- Genentech FVF4168g (RIDE): A Phase III, Double-Masked, Multi-Center, Randomized, Sham-Controlled Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Ranibizumab in Subjects with Clinically Significant Macular Edema with Center Involvement Secondary to Diabetes Mellitus, Sub-Investigator
- Genentech FVF4579g (HARBOR): A Phase III, Double-Masked, Multicenter, Randomized, Active Treatment-Controlled Study of the Efficacy and safety of 0.5mg and 2.0mg Ranibizumab Administered monthly or on an As-Needed Basis (PRN) in Patients with Subfoveal Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Sub-Investigator.
- Genentech FVF4967g (SHORE): A Multicenter, Randomized Study Evaluating Dosing Regimens for Treatment with Intravitreal Ranibizumab Injections in Subjects with Macular Edema Following Retinal Vein Occlusion, Sub-Investigator.
- VGFT-OD-0605: A Randomized, Double Masked, Active Controlled Phase III Study of the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Repeated Doses of Intravitreal VEGF Trap in Subjects with Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Principal Investigator.
- Oculex Pharmaceuticals DC 103-06-02: A Phase II, Randomized, Multicenter, Dose-Ranging, Controlled, Parallel Group Trial to assess the Safety and Efficacy of a posterior Segment Drug Delivery System in the treatment of persistent Macular Edema, Investigator. 10/2001-06/2003.
- Ophthotech OPH1001: A Phase II, Randomized, Double-Masked, Controlled Trial to Establish the Safety and Efficacy of Intravitreous Injections of E10030 (Anti-Peglayted Aptamer) given in combination with Lucentis in subjects with NVAMD, Sub-Investigator
- Lux BioSciences LX211-11: A Multi-center, Double-Masked, Parallel Group, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Voclosporin as Therapy in Subjects with Active Noninfectious Intermediate, Posterior or Pan-uveitis, Sub-Investigator.